Re: Package name convention: Tie::ShadowHash

-=| Ryan Niebur, Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 11:55:06AM -0800 |=-
> On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 02:09:15PM +0200, Damyan Ivanov wrote:
> > Why the dist name? Because no one invented a better way to find
> > the 'main' module in a distribution. It worked well so far.
> >

> well, we could do some crazy stuff...
>
> parse the Makefile.PL and get the VERSION_FROM. that gives
> "ShadowHash.pm". then we look at that file, find the "package
> Tie::ShadowHash;" line, and base the package name off of that.
>
> and for Build.PL we could just use the "module_name".
>
> I think that would be a lot more effort than its worth tho.

I grepped through the ~1500 packages we maintain and that have
Makefile.PL. There are some really nice hits:

    $options{VERSION_FROM} = $VERSION_FROM;
    VERSION_FROM    => "lib/$PACKAGE_FILE.pm"
    VERSION_FROM      => $Bzip2{pm},
    VERSION_FROM  => $me,
    VERSION_FROM  => $LOCN,
    VERSION_FROM  => File::Spec->catfile(

While it may be possible to handle these (perhaps even in secure
manner), I'd indeed spend my time elsewhere and just
    sed -i 's/bad/proper/' debian/*
occasionaly.