Re: Distribution installer that defaults to Debian?

Damyan Ivanov wrote:
> For example Module::Build 0.36 is to be found in Debian as
> libmodule-build-perl 0.360000. The main difference between versions
> found on CPAN and Debian versions is that CPAN ones are compared as
> fractional numbers. Debian versions are compared as a sequence of
> (integer) numbers and non-digit text strings. So for dpkg 0.3401 is
> larger than 0.36 (because 3401 is larger than 36), whereas for CPAN
> the opposite is true. In order to cope with upstream releasing 0.36
> after 0.3401, we "mangle" the upstream version, forcing the part after
> the dot to be right-padded with zeroes and be at least 4 digits.

Please don't take this as second guessing anyone's decisions, but that
is a textbook example of why epochs exist and why we should not be
afraid to use them. An epoched version that contains the unmodified
upstream version is much more useful than a mangled upstream version.

--
see shy jo