Re: "Please drop perl dependency" bugs

-=| Martin Pitt, Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 11:19:12PM +0100 |=-
> gregor herrmann [2010-11-12 21:38 +0100]:
> > For lib.*-perl package it might be a bit annoying having to find out
> > in which of the packages a dependency is.
>
> Could dh_perl figure that out? I. e. scan the source for 'use' and
> 'require' statements, map them to packages, and add them to
> ${perl:Depends}, much like dh_shlibdeps does?

We (dh-make-perl) generaly rely on the META file in the module
distribution for dependency information. There is a whole lot of
modules on CPAN that try to extract such information from source, all
with their pluses and minuses. For example, detecting dependencies in
`require "$foo"' is quite non-trivial.

Even with META, determining which dependencies are optional and which
are required is something that requires human interaction. There is
also the possibility of version mangling (META says 0.03 is needed,
but the version of the package in Debian is 0.030).