Re: Minutes of the pkg-perl BoF at DebConf 10

Hi,

gregor herrmann <gregoa@debian.org> writes:

> 1) VCS - the annual svn and git question
>
> a prerequisite: PET - Ansgar has a "half-working" variant with both
> Git and Svn support

The new PET [1] looks a bit nicer since yesterday (I stole the old PET's
templates, quite a lot of things are still broken though).  It is
however already usable for my daily work. There is also an instance for
the pkg-games team [2].

There are no post-commit hooks installed for Git yet so PET might be a
bit outdated for packages living there.

[1] <http://pet.43-1.org/pkg-perl/pet.cgi>
[2] <http://pet.43-1.org/pkg-games/pet.cgi>

> Jaldhar says there are other reasons to move. Git repos are more
> compact on disk. Upstream developers seem to be moving to github.

It also makes it easier to notice someone tampering with the
repository.  As we hand out commit rights to everybody who asks and this
includes file-level access to the repository this might also be a
concern.

> Question: Where is the source code for PET.cgi located?
> Answer: On alioth
>
> /*
> http://pet.alioth.debian.org/
> */

The new PET is in a different repository.  One of my main uses is to
just copy files around so there are lots of commit just fixing typos and
I want to remove those from history before it is published in a more
official way.  You can ping me on IRC if you already want to take a look
at it.

> Tim: If we can get the stuff we already have working, scaling it is
> the next challenge.

Yes, I think running Git 1700 times to update each repository might
prove to be a bit slow.  I already generate a report [3] on the status
of the repositories for use with PET.  Maybe this can be used to just
update the repositories that changed?

[3] <http://alioth.debian.org/~ansgar-guest/pet-data/>

Regards,
Ansgar