Re: dh-make-perl and overwriting files in debian/

On 09:37 Fri 19 Feb     , Damyan Ivanov wrote:
> I want to propose that dh-make-perl is a bit less cautious when
> overwriting files in debian/. I am probably not the only one annoyed, or
> maybe I have missed something, so please state your opinion on the
> following.
>
> * when run with --make option (the default in the absebse of other
>   command options), dh-make-perl aborts if debian/ directory already
>   exists. I am not exactly sure why this is made, but the only thing
>   one can do if she wants to use dh-make-perl is to move debian/ away
>   and re-run --make.
>
>   I propose that in --make mode, existing debian/ directory is moved
>   to debian.bak/, removing the later if it already exists.

+1

>   If you run --make twice (why?), well, you lose the very original
>   content.

If debian/ exists, move it to debian.orig if debian.orig don't exists.
If debian.orig/ exists, remove debian/ and create a new one.
I think we should always keep debian.orig/ and not lose the very oiriginal
content.

Another possibility is to have debian.orig/ for the very original content and do
some debian.bak[1-N] if --make is runned multiple times.

> * when run with in --refresh mode, dh-make-perl creates backups of any
>   files under debian/ it modifies (rules, control etc). This works
>   fine, but if you refresh twice, the second run is aborted, as .bak
>   files already exist.
>
>   I propose that in --refresh mode, any existing backups of files to
>   be overwritten are to be ignored.

Right, it's the maintainer's job to handle those backups files and remove them
when he want to do another refresh.

Greetings,
--
 ,''`. Xavier Oswald (xoswald@debian.org)