dh-make-perl and overwriting files in debian/

I want to propose that dh-make-perl is a bit less cautious when
overwriting files in debian/. I am probably not the only one annoyed, or
maybe I have missed something, so please state your opinion on the
following.

* when run with --make option (the default in the absebse of other
  command options), dh-make-perl aborts if debian/ directory already
  exists. I am not exactly sure why this is made, but the only thing
  one can do if she wants to use dh-make-perl is to move debian/ away
  and re-run --make.

  I propose that in --make mode, existing debian/ directory is moved
  to debian.bak/, removing the later if it already exists.

  If you run --make twice (why?), well, you lose the very original
  content.

* when run with in --refresh mode, dh-make-perl creates backups of any
  files under debian/ it modifies (rules, control etc). This works
  fine, but if you refresh twice, the second run is aborted, as .bak
  files already exist.

  I propose that in --refresh mode, any existing backups of files to
  be overwritten are to be ignored.