Re: Proposed removal of libtext-query-perl (also: libtext-query-sql-perl, gpsdrive-scripts)

I agree with everything you've said, but to address this point:

>> Considering gpsdrive is using such awful, unmaintained software, which
>> was updated 10+ years ago, perhaps this is also time to consider
>> removal of that package.
>
> Side remark: age alone is not a reason :)

I think software whose last release was over ten years ago, and which
has outstanding bugs, is badly maintained software. If there were no
bugs (an unlikely case) and there were no new features to be added (in
the opinion of the maintainer), then I can understand why a package
hasn't had a new version released for such a long time.

On the other hand, a lot changes in a ten-year span, especially in the
quickly-moving world of software development. Compared to ten years
ago, lots of coding best practices (both in Perl and advances in
Computer Science philosophy in general) have changed, and lots of
hardware has changed (we're now dealing with multi-core systems
everywhere, etc.)

Though seeing as how gpsdrive is used by so many people, and the fix
(in gpsdrive-scripts) is so simple, I think it is fair to first
coordinate with the gpsdrive maintainers, have the hard-dependency on
Text::Query dropped, and then proceed to remove the package from
Debian entirely.

Cheers,

Jonathan