Re: Proposed removal of libtext-query-perl (also: libtext-query-sql-perl, gpsdrive-scripts)

On Wed, 17 Feb 2010 15:19:36 -0500, Jonathan Yu wrote:

> Considering gpsdrive is using such awful, unmaintained software, which
> was updated 10+ years ago, perhaps this is also time to consider
> removal of that package.

Side remark: age alone is not a reason :)

> I'm curious what the group thinks of this. Not being a gpsdrive user
> myself, I am leaning toward removal of this obviously faulty software
> from Debian, though I can see the case for keeping it on the grounds
> of it being useful to a large number of users. If we want to keep it,
> the quickest option for now is to disable tests.

gpsdrive (the binary package) doesn't need Text::Query,
but gpsdrive-scripts which seems to be a bundle of gps related
scripts. And there:

#v+
$ grep -r Text::Query scripts/
scripts/osm/perl_lib/Geo/Gpsdrive/getstreet.pm:use Text::Query;
#v-

If I'm not mistaken, the module is loaded once and never used ...
So this looks like a problem can be solved differently than by
removing the whole source package :)

libtext-querysql-perl is probably more difficult, since it just
extends libtext-query-perl; OTOH it has no rdeps ...

 .''`.   http://info.comodo.priv.at/ -- GPG Key IDs: 0x8649AA06, 0x00F3CFE4
   `-    NP: Joel Harrison: Folsom prison blues