Re: libacme-bleach-perl: Binary packages

On Tue, Jun 09, 2009 at 02:11:16AM +0200, Xavier Oswald wrote:
>On 01:52 Tue 09 Jun     , Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>> >Well, My point of view is that you could ask upstream to do 3
>> >tarballs and separate them. And if upstream don't want to do that,
>> >keep all 3 modules in one package. They are not big so it's not
>> >annoying having them shared in one package.
>> >
>> >What I hope you will not choose is to separate the 3 modules in 3
>> >package and keep this tarball with the 3 modules inside. That's bad !
>>
>> I fail to see what is bad about current packaging.
>
>I just mentioned that it's not a good idea to do 3 packages with a same
>tarball.

I see nothing wrong in producing multiple binary packages from a single
source package.

If you do, then please elaborate.

>> It is wrong IMO to package the three modules together in a single
>> binary package, just because that's what upstream did.
>
>What do you suggest then if upstream don't want to separate these
>modules ?

Compose a single source package that produce 3 binary packages.  As was
my understanding was the case already.  Your question now confuses me.

Was the initially not if it was ok to produce multiple binary Perl
library packages from a single source package?

My response is "that is ok".

>> The packages being small should not be a problem.  If only there is a
>> need for the packages, then go for it.
>
>Agreed. My policy is to try to be minimalist as much as possible and to
>have installed only what is needed.. (maybe because I work on embedded
>systems ;) )

...but a package being _relevant_ to package is important, on the other
hand:

The goal of Debian is not to serve our upstreams (e.g. distribute
anything that gets released), but to serve our users (i.e. distribute
anything we consider relevant to use).

I have *no* opinion on the usefulness of ACME modules.

Kind regards,

  - Jonas

- --