Re: Dual-Build Modules (What to do if both Makefile.PL and Build.PL exist)

On Sat, 09 May 2009 19:48:35 -0400, Jonathan Yu wrote:

> Maybe what we can do is suggest that Build.PL be preferred over
> Makefile.PL in the future with new modules. What needs to be done to
> facilitate this? I don't know if there is a way other than to change
> debhelper.

As long as we want to have dh7 for existing and new packages the
change would have to happen in debhelper (unless we want to override
all the steps with manual invocations of perl Build.PL and friends).

> Is there a way we can design an upgrade path from Makefile.PL to
> Build.PL that will not break current builds, but can facilitate a full
> switch to Build.PL (where provided upstream, of course) in the distant
> future?

I don't see a possibility of a gradual change; _if_ debhelper changes
then from that upload on all builds of affected perl module packages
will change (independent of old/new packages, pkg-perl/other
maintainers, builds from us or from random users ...).

So before proposing the change to Joey it would indeed be helpful to
1) check what happens by rebuilding all packages with a patched
   debhelper
2) fix stuff that breaks in the check

> I hope that this is all sufficient reason to at least begin a gradual
> transition. I'm not saying we should switch everything over
> immediately, as that has the potential to cause lots of breakage (I
> can't flat out say that Joey Hess' assertion that switching will break
> existing packages is incorrect).

I guess you just have to try it and show the results :)

> So maybe we can work on it over time :-). I want to minimize the
> amount of problems this causes for everyone, as I know the FTP masters
> and gregor are already quite overworked.

The ftp-masters are not involved in any way with the way a package is
built. And as long as the packages build as before neither I nor
other uploaders will be affected either :)

 .''`.   Home: http://info.comodo.priv.at/{,blog/} / GPG Key ID: 0x00F3CFE4
 `. `'   Member of VIBE!AT, SPI Inc., fellow of FSFE | http://got.to/quote/
   `-    NP: Rod Stewart: Nobody Knows You When You're D