Re: 3-line debian/rules

Hi,

gregor herrmann <gregoa@debian.org> writes:

> On Sun, 03 May 2009 21:58:22 +0300, Damyan Ivanov wrote:
>
>> > Someone[tm] should write scripts/quiltify.{pl,sh} :)
>> or ... (see below)
>
> Ok ...
>
>> > Still, I'd like to have one default method and dh-make-perl to use
>> > this one, whether it's the "old" or the "new" one.
>> Providing the 3-liner is a piece of cake. I am a bit worried about
>> what should --refresh do when "upgrading" the "old" to "new" rules.
>> Ideally, it should detect usage of quilt and add the relevant lines,
>> therefore providing the "quiltify" functionality above.
>
> Preservering existing quilt functionality in debian/rules would
> indeed be nice for --refresh.
>
>> Ah, no, quiltify shall convert a 3-liner to the 3-liner+quilt version?
>> That's not that hard to write (cat <<EOF >> debian/rules)
>> Did I get it right?
>
> Yes; the "quiltify" I had in mind for some time (and was too lazy to
> write) would:
>
> 1) add quilt to B-D in d/control
> 2) create debian/patches
> 3) add quilt fragments to d/rules
> 4) add debian/README.source
> ( 5) probably set the dh dependency to >= 7.0.50 when the override_*
> approach is used for adding quilt targets in d/rules )
>
> Just the usual steps we do when adding quilt support to a package :)

Should we integrate this in dh-make-perl?  I suggest to add both a
--quilt (or --with-quilt, --use-quilt) option to dh-make-perl which will
add the fragment to d/rules, add d/README.source, ...
If dh-make-perl --refresh is used, it can look for d/patches/series and,
if present, add the quilt stuff as well.  This way, the --quilt option
only needs to be used when quilt was not already used.

> (Hm, and when called as "dequiltify" it could ...)

If --refresh is used and d/patches/series is *not* present, it could
just remove the quilt framework again.

Regards,
Ansgar