Re: Padre 0.25 released

[bringing it back to debian-perl list]

-=| Steffen Mueller, Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 09:54:16AM +0100 |=-

> Damyan Ivanov wrote:
> > I have a slight problem with building that. Thing is, Debian only
> > has wxWidgets 2.8.7 and Padre needs 2.8.8.
> >
> > * I'll try downgrade the requirement to see if anything breaks.
>
> I have a gut feeling that this is going to cause a lot of pain. I'm not
> sure whether Wx.pm 0.89 will work with wxWidgets 2.8.7. Please note that
> the requirement of Wx.pm 0.89 is a hard one. The threading stuff totally
> breaks down before Wx 0.89. It's a release that Mattia did to fix a bug
> for us.

Understood. Luckily Wx.pm is in pkg-perl hands so we do have 0.89.
wxWidgets is another (tough) beast and the fact that Debian has
anything after 2.6 is a miracle.

I lowered the requirement and Padre starts. All tests pass. I met
another crash, but that's due to ignoring the version of Tread::Queue
dependency (core 5.10 only has 2.00 and ->insert is there from 2.01
on). I'll massage the T::Q further. This I can do. wxWidgets is
something I want to have nothing in common with :)  So if Padre
happens to work with wxWidgets 2.8.7 by chance -- great; if not, we'll
have to wait for the Debian maintainer to upgrade the package.

Regardles of whether 2.8.7 works with Padre, the version check should
fail loudly (with an error exit code) to make the problem obvious.
I think the place is line 71 of nono() in
Padre/privinc/Module/Install/PRIVATE/Padre.pm or, the call to nono()
at line 62 should be replaced with 'die'.