Re: Arch: any Packages (Test::Valgrind)

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 10:49:53AM -0500, Jonathan Yu wrote:
On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 6:04 AM, Jonas Smedegaard <dr@jones.dk> wrote:
Hi Jonathan (and others),

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 12:28:57AM -0500, Jonathan Yu wrote:

Build tests in Debian packages do not test if all is possible on all architectures.  As an example, it is not verified if documentation can be built on all platforms - it is only built once.
True.

So it seems to make most sense to me to *not* build on all archs if the resulting package is identical on all archs.
That's the question, I suppose. From a cursory look, it *does* build
the same on all arches, but I think the tests might fail on some
platforms while they pass on others. This is why I was considering
Arch: any, so at least we'd get FTBFS errors and know which dists
don't like valgrind.

Whether or not _valgrind_ fails on some archs is for valgrind itself to deal with, not your Perl wrapper.

As a comparison, it might be that docbook has a bug that causes some documentation package to render its images wrongly when built on some archs - but generating that documentation multiple times is insane, as that would imply that all other -doc packages should perhaps also build arch-dependent "just to be on the safe side". The sane approach was for docbook to include a testsuite that verifies once per arch at build time (and then throws away the result) that all features of that package works as intended for that arch.

Beware, that it is not only a matter of the resulting package containing binary stuff or not - if part of the package e.g. contains some lists of numbers tat are architecture-specific (that is crucial for its functionality, not just in documentation or similar) then it is *not* identical across archs and should be arch any.
I don't believe they do, but I haven't looked in depth yet. I'll take
a closer look and get md5sums later to compare them all.

md5sums will only tell you that something is different - make diffs to figure out _what_ is different (in non-binary chunks) to be able to make a qualified judgement if the changes are important (i.e. variations in spacing is often irrelevant but cause md5sum mismatch).

Kind regards,

 - Jonas

P.S.

Please do not cc me - I am subscribed to the list (and adding me explicitly confuses my MUA sorting routines).