Re: Email::MIME and merge of ::Modifier and ::Creator

On Sat, Nov 07, 2009 at 10:25:03PM +0200, Niko Tyni wrote:
On Sat, Nov 07, 2009 at 10:53:41AM -0500, Jonathan Yu wrote:

Email::MIME::Modifier - obsolete do-nothing library
Email::MIME::Creator - obsolete do-nothing library

So, I propose these modules for removal from sid. At the same time,
I'll set up the appropriate Conflicts/Replaces in libemail-mime-perl,
since it now provides those modules. There are a few rdepends for
these packages, so I think I should just add them to Provides in
libemail-mime-perl as well:

Please note that at least
libjifty-perl
libcatalyst-modules-perl
libhttp-request-params-perl
bugzilla3
have versioned dependencies on either libemail-mime-creator-perl or
libemail-mime-modifier-perl, and those won't be satisfied by the
Provides: entries. (See policy 7.5)

Changing the dependencies to something like
libemail-mime-perl (>= xxx) | libemail-mime-creator-perl (>= yyy)
should be enough, but this needs to be done before the removal happens
to avoid uninstallability problems.

Another concern I had was about an upgrade path for installations
with libemail-mime-creator-perl or libemail-mime-modifier-perl but no
libemail-mime-perl - those could have been left with the obsolete
module versions.  However, that doesn't seem to be a problem because
they depend on libemail-mime-perl in both lenny and sid.

Why make fallback to libemail-mime-creator-perl (>= yyy) versioned?

I see no need for that.

 - Jonas