Re: Debian packages for project builder

On 00:04 Fri 18 Sep     , Bruno Cornec wrote:
> Hello,

Hi Bruno,

If you remember, we meet us at LSM/RMLL and we had a long discussion about your
project. I hope what I tell you has helped...

> I'm developing a tool called project-builder.org (aka pb) in order to
> make i easy for upstream projects, as weel as packager to
> create/maintain packages for a project.

> I've of course made .deb packages for Debian stable (5.0) available at
> ftp://ftp.project-builder.org/debian/5.0/libprojectbuilder-perl_0.9.7.1_all.deb
> and
> ftp://ftp.project-builder.org/debian/5.0/project-builder_0.9.7.1_all.deb
>
> The project is written entirely in perl, is still lacking good
> documentation, but helps me generate packages for 50+ different distributions
> sharing a single repository for meta-data. Projects using it right now
> are pb itself, MondoRescue, LinuxCOE and probably GOsa2.
>
> I'm looking for a DD who would look at my current packages, discuss
> improvements, and would like to push that tool inside Debian. I'd like
> to be a DMaintainer of that apps if possible, even if I'm not a regualr
> Debian user, as I think upstream projects should consider packaging as
> one of their duty.
> I'm also hoping that this tool could be part of the vcs-pkg initiative
> in the future.

The goal of the perl team is to package perl modules/libs and not whole perl
software.

I would be happy to help you and when we are ready, I can upload it to debian
and have you as Co-Maintainer + DM flag.

I have dget libprojectbuilder-perl_0.9.7.1.dsc

What I can already tell you to improve is:
 + Update debian policy Standards-Version, debian/compat
 + Add a description line and a whole description
 + Add missing depends (and try to build it with pbuilder to find out what is
   missing..)
 + Add Xs- option to tell where the source git/svn is in debian/control
 + Use our new debian/copyright format
   http://wiki.debian.org/Proposals/CopyrightFormat/Archive

That's for my first review...
Feel free to tell me when it's updated and I will have another deeper look.

Greetings,
--
 ,''`.|         Xavier Oswald          xoswald@debian.org OR xavier@caldera.eu |
: :' :| Engineer at CALDERA GRAPHICS                     http://www.caldera.eu |