Re: RFC: Proposal to improve package configuration upgrades

Guy Hulbert <gwhulbert@eol.ca> writes:

> On Thu, 2009-17-09 at 14:11 +0200, Dominique Dumont wrote:
>> The other day, I was upgrading cups and dpkg did ask me the usual way
>> if I wanted to keep my cups config file or take the upstream version.
>
> This email looks very familiar.  Did you send something quite similar a
> few months ago?

Yes, one very first stab in debian-devel aroundin February . I was
encouraged by Zach to write some code. I felt that the code alone would
not be enough so I created the wiki page.

I sent a first request for comment of the first draft of the wiki page
in April to debian-perl. Thanks to the comment from Jonas Smedegaard,
this led to some clarification of the specification of a configuration
model and the creation of dh_config_model_upgrade.

Then GSoC happened. Being GSoC mentor did slow down work on
Config::Model and package config upgrade. ;-)

> I see the wiki page started on: 2009-03-23
>
> but there is no discussion page yet ... perhaps we should use it ?

That's a good idea !

All the best

--
Dominique Dumont
"Delivering successful solutions requires giving people what they

irc:
  domidumont at irc.freenode.net
  ddumont at irc.debian.org