Re: How can a non-DD join/help the debian-perl group?

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 2:01 PM, gregor herrmann <gregoa@debian.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 14:22:48 +0200, Jeremiah Foster wrote:
>> On Sep 15, 2009, at 8:21, Dusty Wilson [Megagram] wrote:
>
> Welcome also from me!

Thank you, Gregor!  (and Damyan for adding me, and Jeremiah for his
valuable info as well)  I really appreciate the welcoming people in
the group.

>> >I'm not a DD.  What does it take to begin helping out with random
>> >tasks in the Debian Perl group?
>> The first big step is your email that you sent, the second is
>> lurking on the IRC channel - you'll see the various repository bots
>> posting commits from the svn repo and you'll get an idea of what is
>> being done and how people do it. Look at the Package Entropy Tracker
>> as well: http://pkg-perl.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/pet.cgi

I've seen PET and am happy that it exists.  How do I know if someone
is taking on a task already?  I don't want to step on anyone's feet or
make duplicate work if I can help it.

> Ack, PET is indeed our centre for coordination, and might also answer
> a bit the question what you can do in practice:
> - if you enjoy tracking down nasty bugs start at the top and look at
>  the release-critical bugs

Aye, I do enjoy fixing bugs.  Fixing RC bugs would feel very good to me.

> - if you like to do general package maintainance you can help with
>  upgrading the packages that have a newer upstream release available
> - the section "with bugs" closer to the bottom could also use some
>  eyeballs - probably quite a few bugs need more triaging (do the
>  bugs still apply? does upstream / the CPAN RT know about them?)
>  than heavy coding
> - and of course new packages are possible too :)

I'd love to package a bunch of modules that are on the CPAN (and I use
frequently) but are not found in the repository yet.

> The various docs at http://pkg-perl.alioth.debian.org/ should explain
> most of the techicalities (from our subversion use till our policy
> for various aspects of packages), and always feel free to ask on the
> list or on IRC.

I will go over the documents and lurk a bit before I do any work.  I'd
like to get a feel for how things are done before I do them.  I'm
subscribed to this list as well as the pkg-perl-maintainers list.  I
also plan to lurk around the IRC channel for awhile as well.

>> >I've been writing in Perl since sometime around 1996.  I've created
>> >several modules on the CPAN [0].
>
> This experience will come in very handy for our team, thanks for
> joining!

Thanks for having me!  I'm sure to enjoy the work and the group.

Dusty