Re: libmodule-corelist-perl diversion of corelist.1.gz

-=| Niko Tyni, Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 12:18:04AM +0300 |=-
> On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 05:03:07PM +0000, Debian Bug Tracking System wrote:
> > Source: libmodule-corelist-perl
> > Version: 2.18-1
>
> >    [ Damyan Ivanov ]
> >    * remove unnecessary diversion of corelist.1.gz
>
> Hi Damyan (debian-perl cc'd),
>
> what's the rationale for this?
>
> The choice of diverting away corelist.1.gz and shipping corelist.1p.gz
> as a replacement was deliberate, see #474529 for the discussion.

It was a lintian error [1] that made me look into changing this.
I blindly believed that 1p is looked up before 1 (similarly to 3pm vs
3perl).

    [1] E: libmodule-corelist-perl: diversion-for-unknown-file
        usr/share/man/man1/corelist.1.gz preinst:12)

Perhaps perl binary manuals shall really use section 1 instead of 1p
to avoid any confusion.

> Quoting Colin Watson in the bug:
>
> > I'd contend that you should simply divert the manual page in the same
> > way. It's almost always wrong to handle manual pages differently from
> > binaries in maintainer scripts - if you divert foo to foo.real, you
> > should also divert foo.1.gz to foo.real.1.gz. (Similarly for
> > alternatives.)

Allright. Change reverted, comments added to avoid the same issue
biting again, a lintian override added.

Thanks for noticing my mistake.

--
dam