Re: Some thoughts about packages and priorities

On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 10:04:36 -0400, Jonathan Yu wrote:

> >> During DebConf I talked with several people about the constantly
> >> growing amount of packages in our repo and about concerns regarding
> >> keeping the quality with the rising pile of work.
> > As always gregor you seem to do the heavy lifting. :-) Thanks for starting
> > the discussion.

You know, these things happen while having some talks during DebConf
:)

> >> For ITPs:
> >> - Please X-Debbug-CC debian-perl@lists.debian.org
> I'd be happy to do it, provided that Ryan's gen-itp script does this.
> Then it's no extra work and makes sure the debian-perl list gets a
> copy of all the bug reports.

r42033 | gregoa | 2009-08-17 21:16:18 +0200 (Mon, 17 Aug 2009) | 2 lines
Changed paths:
   M /scripts/examples/gen-itp

:)

(This works only since yesterday , before that X-Debbugs-CC would
accept only one email address. Cf. #514183)

> >> - Please add a short note about _why_ this module is being packaged
> >>  or send a mail to debian-perl@lists.debian.org if it's about a
> >>  larger set of packages belonging together.
> I should do this, yes; I usually note it with a Blocking Fix in the
> control system, but sometimes things slip through, since I have to
> wait awhile between filing the bug and getting acknowledgement from
> the submit system. It might be useful to note such things in the bug
> report itself, though, I agree.

Thanks.

> > I think this is extremely useful. One potential worry I have is that people
> > new to debian-perl often start at number 7 on your list, or they have their
> > own itch to scratch. If there is a more formal "work on these packages
> > first" policy, it might frustrate these new contributors.
> I agree with Jeremiah, in that it might frustrate new contributors,
> especially since my initial motivation for joining the group was, of
> course, having my own modules packaged. Open source is a generous
> thing but begins with a bit of selfishness; I think it's fair to allow
> this, as long as people don't upload many packages hit-and-run style,
> leaving them for someone else to maintain.

I agree with both of you, and I've seen myself in the last days that
I don't want to frustrate new contributors but encourage them, and
I've "fast-tracked" packages by new contributors.

Good that these are just tentative guidelines for me and not
written-in-stone rules :)

 .''`.   http://info.comodo.priv.at/ -- GPG Key IDs: 0x00F3CFE4, 0x8649AA06
 `. `'   Member of VIBE!AT, SPI Inc., fellow of FSFE | http://got.to/quote/
   `-    NP: Bob Dylan: I Want You