Some thoughts about packages and priorities

During DebConf I talked with several people about the constantly
growing amount of packages in our repo and about concerns regarding
keeping the quality with the rising pile of work.

In theory it might be nice to have some rules or guidelines for
deciding about creating new packages, in practice that's probably to
difficult. One evening I've written down the following thoughts, and
before I forget about this file on my hard disk I decided to send it
to the list:

#v+

"Quality before quantity"
Or: What to upload, what to package?

1) Existing packages with RC bugs.
2) Existing packages with other bugs.
3) Existing packages with (useful) new upstream versions or (useful)
   packaging changes (includes adopting packages).
4) New packages which are new deps of existing packages.
5) New packages with RFPs.
6) New packages with informal requests.
7) New packages that are "just nice".

For ITPs:
- Please X-Debbug-CC debian-perl@lists.debian.org
- Please add a short note about _why_ this module is being packaged
  or send a mail to debian-perl@lists.debian.org if it's about a
  larger set of packages belonging together.

#v-

I'm not sure how useful these thoughts are for others, but I think
I'll try to use the order of priorities listed above for my uploads
in the next time and see how it works.

Comments/thoughts/... welcome!

Hasta luego,

 .''`.   http://info.comodo.priv.at/ -- GPG Key IDs: 0x00F3CFE4, 0x8649AA06
 `. `'   Member of VIBE!AT, SPI Inc., fellow of FSFE | http://got.to/quote/
   `-    BOFH excuse #138:  BNC (brain not connected)