Re: Old proposal regarding naming of Perl module packages

Jonathan Yu <jonathan.i.yu@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm curious about this bug report:
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=114920 which didn't
> reach a consensus. I'm not challenging the previous discussion, since
> that discussion wasn't going much of anywhere.
>
> I'm mostly just curious about modules which have ::Perl as the last
> part in the name.
>
> Namely, consider:
> Modern::Perl packaged as libmodern-perl
>
> But:
> File::Find::Rule::Perl packaged as libfile-find-rule-perl-perl

[...]

> I'm guessing the latter idea can be solved relatively easily by providing
> users with an easy-to-use interface to searching for modules.

Actually, this causes me some pain in my job, in which we want to package
various CPAN modules for internal use as automatically as possible.[1]

Having a standard mechanical mapping from CPAN to Debian package name makes
life easier; recently the 'libcatalyst-modules-perl' package has been a pain
in my neck because it bundles an awful lot of CPAN stuff into one package.

That means that *anything* that depends on that requires manual massaging
during the packaging process.  Not that ...

> In the pkg-perl team, we use dh-make-perl --locate

... a more recent dh-make-perl won't help, once we upgrade our production
servers, but still...

Regards,
        Daniel

Footnotes:
[1]  Packaging these helps with the stuff that earns money, but is an overhead
     cost to us, so the less time we spend on it the better.

--
✣ Daniel Pittman            ✉ daniel@rimspace.net            ☎ +61 401 155 707