Re: Old proposal regarding naming of Perl module packages

-=| Jonathan Yu, Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 01:31:41PM -0400 |=-
> Hi:
>
> I'm curious about this bug report:
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=114920 which didn't
> reach a consensus. I'm not challenging the previous discussion, since
> that discussion wasn't going much of anywhere.

I was dreaming of naming the pakcages like perl-cpan-dist-name (saves
3 characters compared to the current naming scheme). However, the
implications of such a change are far larger than the benefits, as
I see it.

> I'm mostly just curious about modules which have ::Perl as the last
> part in the name.

Keep it.

> Namely, consider:
> Modern::Perl packaged as libmodern-perl

Wrong, as it clashes with a possible package of the CPAN dist of
Modern.

> But:
> File::Find::Rule::Perl packaged as libfile-find-rule-perl-perl
>

> Note that the second one couldn't be packaged any other way,
> because:
> File::Find::Rule packaged as libfile-find-rule-perl

Indeed.

--
dam