Re: Reproducible build faillure for liblatex-table-perl?

On Wed, 22 Jul 2009, Guy Hulbert wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-22-07 at 04:22 -0700, Don Armstrong wrote:
> > It's actually spelled either way, with lots of arguments as for which
> > way you should spell it based on which usage you want. [Often license
> > == legal, licence == freedom, but the opposite is also found.
>
> The American spelling is always with an 'S'. In british english the
> 'S' is for the verb and 'C' is for the noun.

American spelling uses both interchangeably for nouns, and generally
uses license for the verb.[1] License is certainly more common, but
both are correct, and reasonable. (In fact, licence is the more
correct etymologically, but it's not like that ever stopped the
english language.)

$ echo license licence licewrong |ispell -a
@(#) International Ispell Version 3.1.20 10/10/95, patch 1
*
*
& licewrong 2 16: lice wrong, lice-wrong

Furthermore, we have no policy as to whether we prefer en_US or en_GB
(or en_??) spellings; just try to be consistent, and avoid obvious
spelling errors.

> See comments here:
> http://iaindale.blogspot.com/2009/05/license-to-spell.html

Random comments on blogs aren't normative. See Webster 1913 if you
need examples of American usage in both contexts.

Finally, you'll certainly find this article informative as well:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=9F0DE3DB1039E733A2575BC1A96E9C946197D6CF

(It points out the new-fangled [for 1900] "se" fad instead of "ce".)

Don Armstrong

1: Those who claim otherwise forget that there is no standard for
American English; only loose convention.
--
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended
up where I needed to be.