Re: OpenSSL bindings for Perl -- package relationships and licensing questions

(i'm bringing in openssl-core@openssl.org, since licensing issues
related to OpenSSL are crucial here, and the OpenSSL license asks this
address to be contacted.  For new readers, the thread starts here:

  http://lists.debian.org/debian-perl/2009/06/msg00083.html

The issue at hand is whether perl modules named OpenSSL::* or
*::OpenSSL::* might need written approval from upstream to satisfy
clause 5 of the OpenSSL license)

On 06/25/2009 03:03 AM, Damyan Ivanov wrote:
> openssl is available under two licenses: OpenSSL license and the
> SSLeay license.

 [...]

> First, SSLeay license has no such requirement. And since OpenSSL is
> available under both OpenSSL and SSLeay licenses, the requirements of
> the OpenSSL may be avoided. Yes, this becomes rather tricky:
> Artistic|GPL + OpenSSL|SSLeay ==> Artistic + SSLeay

It looks to me like OpenSSL uses a conjunction of the two licenses, not
a disjunction:

>>   The OpenSSL toolkit stays under a dual license, i.e. both the conditions of
>>   the OpenSSL License and the original SSLeay license apply to the toolkit.

compare this to the explicit disjunction of perl's license:

>>     This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
>>     it under the terms of either:
>>
>>     a) the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software
>>        Foundation; either version 1, or (at your option) any later
>>        version, or
>>
>>     b) the "Artistic License" which comes with Perl.

If i'm reading that right, how would the conjoined licenses deal with
Perl modules which have the term "OpenSSL" in their names?

Damyan wrote:
> Second, I don't see a definition of what "a derived work" is and
> whether dynamic linking falls into that category. If not, there is no
> problem.

That's an interesting argument, but (for example) the GPL seems to treat
dynamic linking as a form of derived work, from my reading.  Do we think
the terms differ here?

OpenSSL folks, can you clarify your intent on these license issues?  If
you don't consider perl bindings to the library to be "works derived
from" OpenSSL, that might settle the issue.

Regards,

	--dkg