Re: libdebctrl Update

Butting in just since the list was cc'd....

Jonathan Yu <jonathan.i.yu@gmail.com> writes:

> I have been working on figuring out how to parse architecture stuff.
> As I discovered from the debian-policy mailing list, not all
> combinations of operating systems match up with CPU architectures.
> What this means is that I cannot store architecture information
> separately from the operating system -- they have to be paired.

> I was thinking about a good way to do this today, and was considering
> something like a two-dimensional array, where there are architectures
> as columns and operating systems as rows:
>
>             i386   amd64
> Linux    X
> Solaris X          X
>
> Means that Linux supports i386 only, and Solaris supports both i386
> and amd64. So this provides some basic validation.

Such pairings are going to change down the road via external actions
that aren't tracked, so far as I know, by any other package in Debian,
including Policy and dpkg.  dpkg just allows all possible combinations I
believe (except for the two special-case architectures, which are
singletons and don't take a qualifying OS), and Policy stays mum on what
architectures exist.

No one has to inform anyone before creating kfreebsd-ppc64, for
instance, and starting to build Debian packages for it.

I'm therefore worried that you're going to find that to be a lot of
maintenance work, and I'm not sure it's going to accomplish that much.