Re: Task::Kensho from Enlightened Perl

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 10:30 PM, Damyan Ivanov <dmn@debian.org> wrote:
> -=| Dominique Dumont, Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 04:54:32PM +0200 |=-

> You wouldn't.
>
>> On the other hand, providing debian packages for all the module
>> listed in this project is probably a good idea.
>
> I wonder how come noone needed these modules and why they are not in
> Debian yet. Perhaps the people that have made the selection use some
> criteria that is not tightly attached to ...erm... what Debian users
> need?

Well, some are already packed but
I think we are back to the chicken and the egg problem.

They won't ask as we teach them to use CPAN.pm
We teach them to use CPAN.pm because many of the needed
modules are not available in Debian.

I just don't know who is the chicken :-)

Besides, some of these are complex modules and some are
relatively new so only few people use them and they are usually
very strong Perl developers.
That's what EPO is trying to fix/improve so many people will start
using modern Perl tools.

> We are rather open and don't stay in the way of people wanting to
> package modules they need on their Debian systems. Packaging random
> collections OTOH is something I see little gain from, and the workload
> increase is not something I'd favour just for the idea.

I don't know how random is that list.
I am not involved in EPO http://www.enlightenedperl.org/
so I don't have strong feelings about this but I think it is worth
looking at that and at the modules that are recommended on
http://www.modernperlbooks.com/

regards
    Gabor

ps. and I'd love to be able to type aptitude install smolder
to get http://search.cpan.org/dist/Smolder