dh-make-perl additions Was: Article in The Perl Review

On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 10:15:49 +0100, Damyan Ivanov <dmn@debian.org> wrote:

-=| Nicolas Mendoza, Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 09:18:09PM +0100 |=-
On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 19:42:28 +0100, Damyan Ivanov <dmn@debian.org> wrote:

-=| Nicolas Mendoza, Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 05:18:48PM +0100 |=-
Also, about patching dh-make-perl, has anyone added support for
parsing META.yml and being able to provide --name
'libsome-different-name-perl' at the command line? I have added this
for my own dh-make-perl (well I actually haven't integrated the
META-yml parsing inside it, just a separate command that outputs
debian-style names of dependecies)

--name would be bad. There is a reason for naming packages in certain
way. If you don't agree with that, edit changelog and control and
prepare to defend your choice :)

I've needed that when we have made local changes to a package, and
didn't want/need/could send patches upstream. also conflicts,
provides and replaces fields added of course so the system was
happy.

Well, I just don't want such behaviour exposed to users by
*dh-make-perl*. Moreover, you'd use it only once for each package so
no much of a help anyway.

Fair enough.

As for META.yml, which version of dh-make-perl you tried last? The
current one uses CPAN methds for finding dependencies and I think this
includes META stuff. "dh-make-perl --cpan Foo-Bar"

hmm, I know the one in my ubuntu is more robust than the one in
debian stable. BUt I thought it still didn't look into META.yml,
will look again.

Depends on which stable you mean. Lenny has a pretty recent version.
Etch version surely is from another era.

Come on, Lenny is like four days old ;) I was referring to etch :-)