Re: Padre 0.25 released

Hi Damyan,

thanks for working so hard on including Padre in debian.

Damyan Ivanov wrote:
> -=| Gabor Szabo, Fri, Jan 09, 2009 at 10:56:51PM +0200 |=-
>> Let me pick the most important item for you:
>>
>>    Switch to the gnome icon set for Debian compatibility.
>
> Much appreciated!

We also added a few icons of our own which thus carry the same license
as Padre itself (given that they're part of it...). Since I'm probably
the only one who fired up gimp so far, maybe this is the right time to
let me know whether that's enough information on the license of those
extra, self-made icons? Update: Just saw your next mail. I'll fix this.

> Blocker:
> * lib/Padre/Manual/Hacking.pod says:
> Copyright 2008 The Padre Team.
> but gives no license to use/distribute. Is this intentional or just an
> oversight? If it is intentional, I'd have to remove it from the Debian
> package.

I am very, very sure that you can simply change this to the "Copyright
Gabor Szabo, yada yada" notice that adorns all other files. AFAIR, all
contributors were asked whether they'd agree to hand over copyright to
Gabor.

> Needs clarification:
> There are several modules that say author is Steffen Mueller, but
> copyright says Gabor Szabo. Again, intentional (this is what I'd
> assume, since this is what is written) or an oversight?

They say author is me because I wrote them. That's a useful information
in other contexts than copyright. ("who wrote that crap, damnit!?") I
thought with the copyright notice pointing to Gabor, I'd make things
simpler, not troublesome. So this is intentional. Let me know if it's
also counter-productive. :)

> All of the above can be resolved by simple mail from you. No need for
> yet another release just for them (I am also afraid of the number of
> new dpendencies a new release could bring :)).

You bet. We still don't have all of CPAN. Working on it. But for a small
taste: The "portable padre" for win32 that includes a working Strawberry
Perl, a Parrot, a Rakudo Perl(6), a wxWidgets and Padre weighs in at
300MB uncompressed.

> Needs a bit more work from my side:
> * share/icons
> I need to check the sources, their (c) and licensing terms. I am a bit
> tired after browsing the 50k diff between 0.19 and 0.25, so that can
> wait a day or two :)

Those in the padre subdirectory (if that's already there in 0.25, things
move so fast!) are our original work.

> Minor note: lots of files that used UNIX line-ending (LF) not use
> Windows line-ending (CR+LF). I thought that Padre is used for editing
> the sources and that it is capable of keeping the original
> liine-endings. Is this intentional, oversight or bug in padre? The
> reason could be a bug already fixed in 0.25, but still visible to me
> because I diff between 0.19 and 0.25.

All the Padre developers are used to other editors. Some of switched
entirely, but most of us are still in transition. I, for example, try to
edit Padre with Padre, but use vim for work (C++). So the reflexes
sometimes make me fire up trusty old vim instead. A few people seem to
work on Windows. I don't think it's that surprising that there's some
CR/LF confusion going on.

> Finally, congratulations for your awesome work! The changes are
> impressive and padre is more and more coming close to the dream Perl
> editor :)

Thanks! Feel free to join us on irc.perl.org's #padre channel or the
Padre development mailing list. But you're already doing us a huge
favour by working so hard on packaging for debian. It's much appreciated!

Best regards,
Steffen