Re: Utility to install a perl module via apt with cpan fallback

-=| gregor herrmann, Fri, Jan 09, 2009 at 03:21:56AM +0100 |=-
> On Thu, 08 Jan 2009 23:46:45 +0200, Damyan Ivanov wrote:
>
> > Heh, perhaps dh-make-perl can be made to check whether the package
> > requested to be created already exists :)
>
> Despite the smiley that might actually be a nice idea, then people
> would just have to remember "dh-make-perl --cpan Foo::Bar --build"
> (or we could provide a wrapper with a shorter name; cpan2deb?) and if
> the package already exists dh-make-perl says "Hey, why not just run
> `aptitude install libFOO-BAR-perl'?".

First-take implementation committed.

It checks if there is a package by the same name or packages
containing such Perl modules and complains accordingly.

The check is done *after* all work is done, i.e. downloaded from CPAN,
etc.

I was thinking about an --avoid-existing option that should kick-in
before any work is done, but this is not trivial. The information
needed for the check -- package name and "perlname" (Foo-Bar) -- is
not guaranteed to be available or acurate before the actual source is
available, which means download from CPAN.

Thanks Gregor and Don for your suggestions!