perlindex debconf usage

Hi all, Happy new year!

Today I came across perlindex and while fixing #503647[1], I wondered
about the debconf question it asks.

    [1] http://bugs.debian.org/503647

To save you looking at it, perlindex creates a searchable index of all
perl (core+modules) documentation in /var/cache/perlindex/.

The index is removed on purge (postrm). A debconf question is asked
upon install whether this is desired (defaults to true).

I generally agree with Niko's doubt (expressed in that bug report)
whether this question is needed at all.

What do you think?

 1) drop debconf, remove the index on purge unconditionally
 2) lower the priority from 'high' to 'normal' or even 'low'
 3) keep it at 'high' priority

debconf usage was added in 1.501-2 (June 2006). Florian, can you
remember what was your rationale back then?