Re: packaging with Git [was RFA: clive -- Video extraction utility for some video sites]

-=| Jeremiah Foster, Tue, Dec 09, 2008 at 08:35:33AM +0100 |=-
> On Dec 9, 2008, at 7:13 AM, Damyan Ivanov wrote:
>> debian-perl, do you mind if I use a Git repository under
>> git.debian.org/git/pkg-perl/apps for it?
>
> Interesting to see what you think about maintaining packages with git
> dam. I know there has been talk about it on the list previously, but it
> looks like you are building up some experience.

I think all the best about using Git for packaging. The problem I have
with it (and this is the reason why I don't push it harder for
pkg-perl) is that the analog to "svn up" for a thousand of Git
repositories is way too slow.

This is also the reason why I use Git in quiet corner of pkg-perl --
apps/, destined to packaging of applications, which is a new (and
still experimental) stream of packages to the group.

> Are there

I guess you mean "... Git-maintained packages in the group?".

padre[1] and clive[2]. I have set up a git-svn mirror[3] for
dh-make-perl, in order to make it a bit easier for Git-preferring Perl
gurus to contribute patches. Uh, well, I also use git-svn for
dh-make-perl hacking and I am very pleased with it.

    [1] http://git.debian.org/?p=pkg-perl/apps/padre.git
    [2] http://git.debian.org/?p=pkg-perl/apps/clive.git
    [3] http://git.debian.org/?p=pkg-perl/apps/dh-make-perl.git

Ah, there is another showstopper before wider addoption of Git in the
group: PET does not support it. I think Tincho expects patches from me
for this, but I am not there yet (and won't be any time soon).