Re: Documentation: "How to get a CPAN module into debian"

On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 21:14:18 +0300, Gabor Szabo wrote:

> > Also, "write clean copyright and licensing statements".
> We have been in this discussion already. The above request is
> too vague. I don't understand what that means to you.

I'm no expert in copyright/license stuff but IMO we need:
* An explict copyright statement in the form
  "Copyright YYYY (- YYYY) $copyrightholder(s)"
* and an explicit license

What I see every now and then is that a module has "AUTHOR(S)" and
"LICENSE" but no COPYRIGHT, or a COPYRIGHT header but then a license,
or some other similar stuff.

Also helpful are consistent informations -- i.e. not having various
different years (of course year can differ for different files but if
there is just one .pm file and it has different informations then the
README, that's confusing).

> Jim Brandt  from TPF promised me on YAPC::NA to check how
> and where one should declare "the same license as perl"
> to make it strong enough to be defendable.
> I am expecting an exact phrasing of the sentence or sentences.
> Once we get that you too will be able to point CPAN authors
> to that statement and I hope we can add this check to CPANTS.

Sound like a good plan, thanks!

> There is a chicken and egg problem here.
> In short: because many modules are missing people use alternative ways
> and then don't ask for modules to be included. So you don't see the requests.

I see your point here.

> 3) There are tons of important modules still missing from Debian so users
>      have to use other methods for installing them.

That boils down to the question what "important" means :)

> > Last note. If you happen to meet Jesse Vincent, please ask him to add
> > a proper License statement to Template-Declare. Right now the module
> > only has COPYRIGHT and the only mention of license is "License: perl"
> > in META.yaml, which is a bit scarse. :)
> AFAIK in recent versions of META.yml there are links to a web site with the
> full text of the "perl" (and some other) licenses.

Oh, we know where to find the Perl license :)

This is a corner case -- it's clear what's meant but having both
COPYRIGHT/LICENSE in the POD just makes it clearer.

 : :' :  debian gnu/linux user, admin & developer - http://www.debian.org/
   `-    BOFH excuse #215:  High nuclear activity in your area.