Re: Documentation: "How to get a CPAN module into debian"

-=| Jeremiah C. Foster, Sun, Aug 03, 2008 at 06:13:05PM +0200 |=-
> I am giving a talk for YAPC::EU about debian from a perl developer's
> perspective.

Cool!

> One of the things I wanted to talk about and that I
> occaisionally get asked is "How do I get module X into debian?"

How about "get your users to use Debian"? :)

Hopefully, Debian users know how to propose new packages.

Also, "write clean copyright and licensing statements".

I would object, however, against RFPs filed by module authors that
seek popularity for their module. Let them distribute their work in
CPAN, accumulate users, and let the /users/ file RFPs in case they
also happen to use Debian. Otherwise we may as well blindly mirror the
whole CPAN :)

How about changing the title to "How to get the CPAN module I use in
Debian"?

Considering the above, I think that the 'reportbug way' should be the
only variant explained. I'd add a hint how to search the wnpp list for
the proposed package using its ability to filter the bug list.

Also, a Link to the PTS would be good, also to the Perl sub-policy.

Last note. If you happen to meet Jesse Vincent, please ask him to add
a proper License statement to Template-Declare. Right now the module
only has COPYRIGHT and the only mention of license is "License: perl"
in META.yaml, which is a bit scarse. :)