Re: Documentation: "How to get a CPAN module into debian"

-=| Lesley Binks, Wed, Aug 06, 2008 at 03:08:48PM +0100 |=-
> 2008/8/6 Jonas Smedegaard <dr@jones.dk>:
> >
> > On Sun, Aug 03, 2008 at 11:12:30PM +0300, Damyan Ivanov wrote:
> >>-=| Jeremiah C. Foster, Sun, Aug 03, 2008 at 06:13:05PM +0200 |=-
> >
> >>How about changing the title to "How to get the CPAN module I use in
> >>Debian"?
> >
> > <nitpicking>
> > The answer to that is "aptitude install lib<dashed-and-lc-name>-perl"
> >
> > </nitpicking>
> >
> Which is all very well if you don't mind using less than up-to-date
> packages on Debian stable.
>
> Compare the stable distribution version of CGI.pm got the Debian way
> against the latest version available on CPAN and you'll find the
> released CGI.pm is out of date by more than two years.  Having said

This is a known issue and it is present not only with modules from
CPAN, but also with all kinds of packages.

To overcome it, http://backports.org/ was created.

> If I have a requirement for a more up to date version of a module, I
> use the command 'cpan' to retrieve from CPAN

That is the other way to have recent CPAN modules installed.

> If you really wanted to be completely sure any cpan module you
> install
> is safely out of the way of any standard Debian install

Just to clarify, the standard Debian install is so designed as to
always favour locally installed packages, for this very same reason -
giving you the possibility to "cpan install" what you need.