Re: bugs and patches in Debian

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 4:31 PM, Gabor Szabo <szabgab@gmail.com> wrote:
> Please, with all the discussion about the details and how to make it perfect,
> don't forget to start generating some data so I can start working on
> integration with CPANTS.

Worry no more :)
I have prepared a _draft_ dump script that outputs the following
fields in CSV format:

debian_pkg, CPAN_dist, CPAN_vers, N_bugs, N_patches

It is updated hourly with a cronjob at:
http://pkg-perl.alioth.debian.org/CPANTS.txt

Since you have the debian package name, the homepage, source code for
patches, bug pages, etc. can all be generated automatically. So I left
them out of the report.

Basic homepage: http://packages.debian.org/src:$pkgname
Detalied homepage: http://packages.qa.debian.org/$pkgname
Bugs report: http://bugs.debian.org/src:$pkgname
Public SVN repository: http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/pkg-perl/trunk/$pkg
>From that last URL, you might be interested in the debian/ and
debian/patches subdirectories.
And many more pages that Debian auto-generates...

Caveats:
- CPAN_dist is inferred from the download location, for our packages
it works 99% of the time, but it is not completely reliable. If it
fails to detect something, it will spit out the known download
location.
- CPAN_vers is inferred from the debian version. This fails a lot,
since we have a mechanism for "unmangling" upstream versions which is
non-reversible. We have to use that many times to fix versioning
problems, and those packages will show a different version (e.g. 1.080
vs 1.80)

The first problem is something I'd like to solve by adding metadata to
our packages, for many other useful stuff (like automatic upstream bug
tracking and handling). About the second... well, it's a difficult
one.

Well, hope this serves as a first working draft, even with all the
present caveats.

Regards, Tincho.

--
Martín Ferrari