Re: bugs and patches in Debian

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 6:20 PM, Martín Ferrari
<martin.ferrari@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Gabor,
>
> On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 12:04 PM, Gabor Szabo <szabgab@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> a month or two ago in Oslo we discussed with Jeremiah and others
>> that I would like to make it easy for everyone, including the CPAN module
>> authors to see which of the CPAN modules are distributed by Debian.
>
> Jeremiah told us a little about this, and I'm very happy to see this initiative!
>
>> I hope that having such metric on CPANTS will encourage CPAN developers
>> to make sure they pick up the patches from Debian and fix the bugs reported
>> in Debian.
>
> Excellent!
>
>> So we figured out the best would be if there was a cron job on some
>> debian server
>> generating a csv file with fileds like
>> Perl-Package-Name,CPAN Version,Number of patches,Number of bugs,Link
>> to its home page in Debian
>
> Nowadays we don't have all that information, but let's examine it:
>
> - Perl-Package-name: we currently have a pointer to the homepage and
> the watchfile which strongly suggest this (we almost always use
> seach.cpan.org/dist/foo URLs). I played with the idea of having a more
> specific metadata available.
> - CPAN version: got that from watchfiles.
> - Number of patches: the problem here is the many ways of doing this
> in debian; but in the Perl Group we have more or less standarised on
> using quilt, and the few remaining use dpatch/simple-patchsys which
> are quite similar. I guess this can be added pretty easily for us, not
> for Debian in general (there are many Perl packages maintained outside
> the group).
> - Number of bugs: we have it
> - Home page in Debian: there's not exactly a home page, but we can
> automatically generate links to the various QA pages easily
>
> In general, our qa-report scripts can be extended to grab this data
> for the perl group, but as I said before, it'd be a little difficult
> to extend them beyond that. Ad-hoc reporting could be done for the
> rest, but I don't think it'd be an easy task.
>

>> I guess I am talking about Debian Unstable here but we can discuss this.
>
> I don't think it has much sense to track stable.
>

>> As Jeremiah probably has other things to do now and I'd like to make this move
>> forward I would like to ask if anyone on the list could create such a csv file.
>
> I'm all for this to happen, so count me on working on this. As soon as
> I have some free time :)
> The CSV generating part is trivial, the main work is on capturing the
> now missing data.

So if you or anyone can start to generate the CSV file with the already
available data, I could then add it to CPANTS.

We don't have to wait till everything is perfect. The rest of the data
can be added later.
This might also encourage other maintainers to use the same format
making it easier to collect that info.

regards
  Gabor