Re: libcurses-ui-poe-perl - can somebody review please?

On 2008-05-08, Damyan Ivanov <dmn@debian.org> wrote:

> --enLffk0M6cffIOOh
>
> -=3D| Antony Gelberg, Thu, May 08, 2008 at 12:09:20AM +0000 |=3D-
>> I have injected libcurses-ui-poe-perl into SVN.  It was in bad shape
>> when I grabbed it from CPAN, but Scott upstream has been very helpful,
>> and my ping resulted in a new release.
>
> Nice :)
>
> Some clarification of copyright/licensing could still be done:

Actually, the examples are all the same as the ones in
libcurses-ui-perl, but with minimal changes.  e.g:

antony@cubase:~/src/debian/perl/build/Curses-UI-POE-0.031$ diff
/usr/share/doc/libcurses-ui-perl/examples/color_editor
examples/color_editor
7c7
< # This file is part of Curses::UI. Curses::UI is free software.
---
> # This file is part of Curses::UI::POE. Curses::UI::POE is free
> software.
71,72c71,72
< use Curses::UI;
< my $cui = new Curses::UI (
---
> use Curses::UI::POE;
> my $cui = new Curses::UI::POE (
197c197
< 		-message => "Program : Curses::UI Editor\n"
---
> 		-message => "Program : Curses::UI::POE Editor\n"
203c203
< 		 	  . "Curses::UI widget set and the newly\n"
---
> 		 	  . "Curses::UI::POE widget set and the newly\n"
antony@cubase:~/src/debian/perl/build/Curses-UI-POE-0.031$

> examples/color_editor:
>  # (c) 2001-2002 by Maurice Makaay. All rights reserved.
>  # This file is part of Curses::UI::POE. Curses::UI::POE is free
>  # software.
>  # You can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms
>  # as perl itself.
>  #
>  # e-mail: maurice@gitaar.net
>  #
>  # Color demo 2003 (c) by Marcus Thiesen
>  # marcus@cpan.org
>
> I wonder what license Marcus wants for his work.

I can contact him and ask, but is it not common sense to assume that if
Marcus had wanted a different licence to the above, he would have
specified?  I don't think, if several people work on code, that each
person should have to specify his own licence.

> examples/demo-color, demo-language, demo-widgets, hello_world,
> irc_client, mouse_focustest, pop3_reader:
>  no copyright/license whatsoever. Not critical as it would be /assumed/
>  "same as the main module", but while you are at it...  :)

As per what I said about the diff above, I think I really need to ask
Curses::UI upstream about this, as it applies to both that and
Curses::UI::POE.

>> Now it passes tests, is lintian clean, and bullds in cow.
>
> My lintian produce three warnings. It would be nice if they are fixed
> before uploading:
>
> W: libcurses-ui-poe-perl: description-synopsis-might-not-be-phrased-properly
> W: libcurses-ui-poe-perl: new-package-should-close-itp-bug
> W: libcurses-ui-poe-perl: possible-missing-colon-in-closes Closes #479206

Fixed.

> $ lintian -V
> Lintian v1.23.48
>
> I've added a short TODO to debian/changelog and changd the distribution
> to UNRELEASED. Revert that when you're done.

Will do.

Antony