Re: Re: Speaking about debian-perl to conferences

On Mon, 03 Mar 2008 22:40:07 +0200, Gabor Szabo wrote:

[Russ and Don have already commented on the version numbering.]

> >  > >   (0.2808.01-1)   libmodule-build-perl                      0.2808
> >  >     Where was the additional 01 taken
> >  >     from ? Was that the 0.2808_01 release?
> >  Exactly, the underline is converted to a dot because underlines are
> >  not allowed in Debian version numbers.
> >  No big deal.
> AFAIK that means it is a developer version that should not be distributed.
> So I think should not get into the Debian repository.

Ack, we mostly ignore them, except for some releases where they fix
important stuff.
In that case it was for the perl 5.10 transition where we had to
untangle some funny dependencies between packages.

> >  > >   (0.06.1b-5)     libpdf-create-perl
> >  > Currently 0.08 on CPAN
> >  That's another funny case -- CPAN has different releases then
> >  sourceforge for this same module :/
> >  I guess we should track both ...
> >  (http://sourceforge.net/projects/perl-pdf/)
> I would think better to track only CPAN. Those should be the
> "official" releases.

Sure, I don't know exactly why we looked at SF in that case; probably
because versions where missing at CPAN at some point in time ...

> >  > In any case there is already a CPANTS kwalitee metric for proper version number
> >  > http://cpants.perl.org/kwalitee.html but all the mentioned modules
> >  > passed the test.
> >  > So maybe the has_proper_version on CPANTS should be stricter.
> >  From a Debian point of view the versions are all fine -- as long they
> >  stick to the same scheme for a given module; what's difficult for our
> >  sorting algorithms are modules that change from x.yyyy to x.yy or
> >  from m.nnnn to m.nn.nn or similar.
> OK, so I don't have a selling point here :-)
> I better go to sleep then.

:)
Well, the more standardized they are the better for the sanity of all
involved parties.

 : :' :  debian: the universal operating system - http://www.debian.org/
   `-    NP: Pat Metheny, B.B. King, Dave Brubeck: Dave Brubeck Quartet / Lover M