Re: Speaking about debian-perl to conferences

"Gabor Szabo" <szabgab@gmail.com> writes:
> gregor herrmann <gregor+debian@comodo.priv.at> wrote:

>>  Added by Debian; the problem is that the history as seen on
>>  http://search.cpan.org/dist/DBD-CSV/ was
>>  0.1030
>>  0.2001
>>  0.2002
>>  0.21
>>  0.22

>>  For CPAN 0.21 is probably greater than 0.2002, for Debian 21 < 2002.
>>  By adding the trailing zeros we get our math right again :)

> If I understand that means that for Debian it is better to keep the old
> but strange version number than to move (once!) to the saner one with
> only two digits after the dot and then keep the new numbering.

> Isn't there a way for Debian to somehow follow the module to its new
> version numbering and hope it will stick to it?

Version numbers in Debian cannot go backwards, period.  It would
completely break upgrades, and the archive software doesn't permit it.

Now, we *can* introduce what's called an epoch.  In other words, we could
package 0.22 as 1:0.22, which sorts later than 0.2002.  However, epochs
are generally somewhat annoying to deal with since it's an additional
versioning component that's not really part of the version, and generally
people in Debian tend to avoid them if there's another, better way.

It's not clear whether the epoch would be any less confusing than the
current version.