Re: perlapi-5.8* and the perl 5.10 transition

Niko Tyni wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 18, 2008 at 02:12:18PM +0200, Damyan Ivanov wrote:
>
> > I've tried to rebuild all pkg-perl packages with perl 5.10 from
> > experimental and I have to say, the situation is not pink :(

I'm really glad you took the time to look at this systematically.

> There may be a bootstrapping problem:
>
> login is an Essential:yes package, which depends on
>  libpam-modules -> libpam0g -> debconf -> debconf-i18n
> while debconf-i18n depends on
>  (libtext-iconv-perl, liblocale-gettext-perl, libtext-charwidth-perl)
> which are all XS modules and need to be recompiled.
>
> This may not be a problem since debconf actually depends on
> (debconf-i18n | debconf-english), and debconf-english doesn't need
> any XS modules. However, I'm not sure if the buildds will do the right
> thing when they see perl 5.10 in unstable.  My simple-minded tries with
> installing 5.10 from experimental with apt-get lead to removing debconf
> and its reverse dependencies instead...

Stupid apt.. This might need manual buildd tweaks to install
debconf-english. It should be fine for buildds to use debconf-english,
FWIW.

> Another problem is libxml-parser-perl, which build-depends on
> libxml-encoding-perl, which depends on libxml-parser-perl. So
> libxml-parser-perl can't be rebuilt when it's uninstallable.

See #458144. I belive it should be possible to manually break this loop
now that #458578 is fixed.

BTW, I'll bet that once we start to use 5.8.10, we will find some other
code, maybe even some CPAN modules, that still use pseudo-hashes..

--
see shy jo