Re: mime-tools problems

On Sat, Jan 12, 2008 at 04:41:27PM +0100, gregor herrmann wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 13:19:44 -0200, Martín Ferrari wrote:

> > Also, I found that the package has some serious licensing problems,
> > that I'm sure won't let it pass NEW today:
> > in /lib/MIME/Decoder/UU.pm:
> >
> > "UU-decoding code lifted from "uuexplode", a Perl script by an unknown
> > author..."

The meat of the decoding is pretty much the same code that's in
the Camel book:

 http://www.unix.org.ua/orelly/perl/prog/ch03_182.htm

and it's been that way since at least 1991, see

 http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.perl/msg/ce6ee526836828d8

which might actually be the origin of this 'uuexplode'.

I don't think we should worry about this; upstream clearly doesn't since
they claim copyright in the next paragraph...

> > These files have no copyright nor license:
> > ./t/Globby.pm
> > ./lib/MIME/Field/ParamVal.pm
> > ./lib/MIME/Parser/Reader.pm
> >
> > These files have author but not license:
> > ./lib/MIME/Field/ContType.pm
> > ./lib/MIME/Field/ConTraEnc.pm
> > ./lib/MIME/Field/ContDisp.pm
> > ./lib/MIME/WordDecoder.pm
>
> They seem to be by the same author so I guess assuming they have the
> same license as the whole module might be safe.

I think the "module-wide" license and author information given in README
can be assumed to apply to all files in the distribution unless they
contain contradictory statements. This seems standard practice to me.

Niko Tyni   ntyni@debian.org