Re: RFS/RFC: wdg-offline-validator

On Sat, 2008-01-12 at 18:18 +0100, David Bremner wrote:

>     Guy> On Sat, 2008-01-12 at 11:04 +0100, David Bremner wrote:
[snip]
>     >> containing the command line validator. It consists of a single
>     >> 714 line perl script.  The real benefit of having a debian
[snip]
>     Guy> If the "debian way" is to package single perl scripts, then
>     Guy> everyone will start moving back to redhat.
>
> If you like, think of it as an almost-virtual package so that the user
[snip]
> Anyway, if you're not convinced, fair enough. I agree it is a

Just being curmudgeonly.  I think that packaging a single script may
even be given as an example in one of the packaging manuals.

> borderline case, but it is the piece of the orphaned
> wdg-html-validator package that has no equivalent in Debian.

In this particular case, I think (based on your description) the script
should probably be integrated into some larger, appropriate debian
package but on reflection (after sending the original reply), I
realize(d) that debian packages wrap single upstream ones and all the
policies are built around that.  The more typical case is to split a
single upstream source into multiple sub-packages.

I'll go back to lurking...

--
--gh