Re: Homepage in DPG packages

(It took some five weeks for that answer so prepare for deja vu :)

-=| Steffen Mueller, Fri, Sep 14, 2007 at 03:20:12PM +0200 |=-
> How about asking the search.cpan.org interface author, Graham Barr, for
> help in this? He wrote code to extract the distribution names from the
> distribution file name that seems to work reliably.
> He could either share the code with you, so you can parse the PAUSE file
> index ftp://ftp.cpan.org/pub/CPAN/modules/01modules.index.html or he
> could set up some kind of web API for retrieving the meta information
> (version, author, upload date) for an URL such as
> search.cpan.org/dist/Foo-Bar.
> In case Graham isn't interested or too busy, you could check out the
> parse_dist_name routine in the PAR::Dist module. It's intended to parse
> the meta information from PAR-distribution files, but it should do just
> fine with regular CPAN .tar.gz's. If you impose some more restrictions
> (ends with version), it should become quite reliable. Let me know if I
> can help with this.

PAR-Dist's code (parse_dist_name) is exactly what I am looking for. With
debian/watch line like:
    http://search.cpan.org/dist/Perl-Critic/ .*/Perl-Critic-([\d.]+)\.tar\.gz
and corresponding 01modules.index.html content:
    Perl-Dist-Vanilla-7.zip
    Perl-Critic-1.078.tar.gz
It should be possible to match them and determine CPAN versions of all
packages that use the search.cpan.org URLs.

Thanks for the pointer, Steffen!