Re: Advise about missing copyright info

* Ben Finney:

> (Please follow the Debian mailing list code of conduct. I didn't ask
> for personal copies of messages also sent to the list.)
>
> Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.enyo.de> writes:
>
>> * Ben Finney:
>> > If not, this does appear to me to be a policy bug. Such a bug must
>> > be fixed either by removing the package from Debian or by getting
>> > a clear, correct statement of copyright for the work from the
>> > copyright holder, and recording that in 'debian/copyright'.
>>
>> Usually, it's argued on this list
>
> I'm presuming "this list" refers to debian-legal, as opposed to the
> other list in this discussion.

Oops. Sorry.

>> that a requirement for precise
>> information on the copyright holder fails the Dissident Test.
>
> I've not seen the Dissident test applied that way.

<http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2005/01/msg00821.html>
and the surrounding discussion seems pretty instructive.

> I don't see that the Dissident test applies to the copyright holder

The issue is that someone who modifies and distributes a work may well
turn into a copyright holder.

> (as opposed to recipients of the work), nor that it's non-free to
> require the copyright holder to be personally identifiable.

I strongly agree.  Only works whose copyright status is verifiable can
be free.  Unfortunately, some people disagree. 8-(