Re: Source package naming for Perl modules

Hi,

Am Freitag, den 21.09.2007, 13:15 +0000 schrieb Julian Mehnle:
> Hi all,
>
> if you have 5 minutes of spare time, please read
>
>   http://julian.io.link-m.de/misc/%23debian-perl_source-package-naming.txt
>
> and give your opinions on whether, and under which circumstances, _source_
> packages of Perl modules in Debian should be required to be named
> /^lib.*-perl$/.  (This is not about binary package names, which should be
> named so without a doubt.)  Thanks!

I think that for sources that only generate one binary (and are excpeted
to do so in the future) the source name should be identical to the
binary name. This probably applies to most of the DPG’s packages

Sources that have several binary packages can be named differently. It
depends if there is a “main” binary package or a collection of
equally-important binary packages.

Lets say, we have a source that creates
 - libsmtp-fast-perl
I’d name it:
 - libsmtp-fast-perl

Let’s then say, we have a source that creates
 - libsmtp-fast-perl
 - libsmtp-fast-gtk-perl
I’d still name it:
 - libsmtp-fast-perl

Let’s now say, we have a source that creates
 - libsmtp-fast-perl
 - smtp-tools
It could be named differently, for example
 - perl-smtp-tools
 - smtp-tools
 - whatever name the project uses for itself

That’s my current POV at least.

Greetings,
Joachim

--