libdata-stag-perl not quite ready
I reviewed libdata-stag-perl in the current pkg-perl repository for
possible upload, but I think it needs more work. I noted the following
* The package doesn't build. It looks like it needs libio-string-perl as
an additional dependency or the test suite fails.
* The package installs a lintian override for missing man pages for
several scripts. This is never okay. Lintian overrides are only to be
used when lintian is wrong for some unavoidable reason, and it's not
wrong here. This is a real bug. In this case, I think it should be
fixed before uploading the package by writing POD documentation for
those scripts explaining what they do, but regardless, please don't
override lintian warnings about bugs.
* Literal text in the long description needs to be indented so that it
isn't word-wrapped by various front-ends. (The short description should
probably also mention Perl, since this is a Perl module.)
* The package build-depends on a very recent version of Perl, but doesn't
depend on a recent version of Perl. Does it really only need a recent
version of Perl for building? That's a little unintuitive; a comment
somewhere (debian/rules, for example) might be useful.
* This is weird:
$(PERL) Makefile.PL INSTALLDIRS=vendor \
Is INSTALLDIRS=vendor not sufficient for some reason?
* This is purely stylistic, but I'd rather see the short loops in
fix_binaries and fix_manpages inlined in debian/rules rather than kept
as separate scripts run from debian/rules. The current method just adds
one more place to figure out what's going on.
* Installing c-ext/README.c-ext makes no sense -- look at the contents of
* Shouldn't the documentation in homepage be installed in /usr/share/doc?
I'm going to set the distribution back to UNRELEASED and note the major
issues in debian/changelog so that it's clear what needs to be done before
Russ Allbery (firstname.lastname@example.org) <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>