Re: 5.10.0-RC2 uploaded to experimental

Brendan O'Dea <bod@debian.org> writes:
> On Wed, Dec 05, 2007 at 09:49:00PM +0100, Raphael Hertzog wrote:

>> It got rejected by Joerg due to:
>>| As you see the package is empty, has no depends on perl (but a symlink
>>| to it for the doc, which is only allowed if you have it in direct
>>| depends), misses contents, etc. :)
>
> And as I pointed out to Joerg, it is *meant* to be empty on this arch,
> as libperl5.10.so.5.10 is actually in perl-base, which libperl5.10
> depends on exactly.  Note that package also includes
> /usr/share/doc/perl/{changelog.Debian.gz,copyright} .

The part that confuses lintian is that perl-base provides
/usr/share/doc/perl and the files in it.  It assumes that the
/usr/share/doc link is to a directory named after the package that
provides the files, so it doesn't get this right.  I'm guessing that
ftp-master's checking scripts have the same limitation.

This has always been a weird part of the Perl packaging -- no one else
does this -- but I can't say it's really *wrong*.  If I were you, though,
I'd just ship a separate copy of changelog.Debian.gz and copyright in
/usr/share/doc/perl-base so that tools don't get confused, even though
it's not strictly necessary.

Although at least in theory lintian could be taught to get this right.