Re: 5.10.0-RC2 uploaded to experimental

On Wed, Dec 05, 2007 at 09:49:00PM +0100, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
>It got rejected by Joerg due to:
>| As you see the package is empty, has no depends on perl (but a symlink
>| to it for the doc, which is only allowed if you have it in direct
>| depends), misses contents, etc. :)

And as I pointed out to Joerg, it is *meant* to be empty on this arch,
as libperl5.10.so.5.10 is actually in perl-base, which libperl5.10
depends on exactly.  Note that package also includes
/usr/share/doc/perl/{changelog.Debian.gz,copyright} .

I'm a bit dissapointed that the package was bounced while I was in
transit.  I was rather hoping that the autobuilders would have had the
chance to make a start on it...

>That's an example of why having a public VCS for such a package
>is a good idea. ;-)

Perhaps, although in this case the package is working as intended.

I did spend a fair bit of time fiddling about with git attempting to get
it to do what I was after and ultimately decided that it was not worth
the effort.

What is used now works reasonably well:  small patches get added through
the life of an upstream release, rarely require any changes during that
cycle and then need to be checked one by one and either re-applied if
Debian-specific, or hopefully discarded (having either come from
upstream, or been pushed back there).

--bod