Re: I'm new to Debian

On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 22:29:51 +0100, Sarah Connor wrote:

> I'm new to contributing to Debian, and given that I work with Perl on a
> regular basis I'm hoping to contribute in perl-related ways at least
> initially.

Hi, and thanks for your interest in contributing to the perl part of
Debian!

> (However I've not tested the patch and
> couldn't NMU right now without a sponsor ..)
> So I'm a little stalled.  I'd like to contribute to the perl packages in the
> project, but without being able to upload I'm a little lost.

If you like you can become a member of the Debian Perl Group -- you
need an account an alioth.debian.org and one of the admins for the
pkg-perl project there can add you to the group (a short note here on
the list is usually enough).
Then you have commit access to the group's subversion repository, and
one of the DDs from the perl team can check out and upload your
packages; this works very well from my perspective as a non-DD.

> Are there any perl modules on CPAN that users would particularly appreciate
> me packaging?

You could take a look at the RFP bugs that mention perl modules;
either at http://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/requested or at
http://pkg-perl.alioth.debian.org/qa/wnpp.html
You can of course also package modules that you use and find useful
in your day job.

> I could probably find a sponsor easily enough, and I'm
> certainly comfortable with actually making Perl packages, having done so
> locally since the Sarge days.  (Initially via dh-make-perl, and later "by
> hand").

Great!

> One final question - If I do find a perl package which could be usefully
> uploaded would I be welcome to ask for membershop/uploaders here?  Or should
> I stick to the traditional debian-mentors route?

Should you decide to join the team and work with the svn repo the
usual way to look for an uploader is to ask here on the list (or on
the #debian-perl IRC channel) after committing to the subversion
repository; involving debian-mentors or mentors.debian.net in these
cases tends to create more confusion. If you have packages that are
not in the group's svn repo you can ask here anyway :)

If you want to read more about how the group does it's work take a
look at http://pkg-perl.alioth.debian.org/ - esp. policy.html and
subversion.html are helpful and important; and don't hesitate to ask
whatever questions come to your mind :)

 : :' :  debian: the universal operating system - http://www.debian.org/
   `-    NP: Penelope Swales: Starfish