I'm new to Debian

I'm new to contributing to Debian, and given that I work with Perl on a regular basis I'm hoping to contribute in perl-related ways at least initially.

Having looked over the bugs assigned to the Debian Perl group[0] the only one that looked easily solvable and fixable to me right now was #442764, which already has a patch present.  (However I've not tested the patch and couldn't NMU right now without a sponsor ..)

So I'm a little stalled.  I'd like to contribute to the perl packages in the project, but without being able to upload I'm a little lost.

Are there any perl modules on CPAN that users would particularly appreciate me packaging?  I could probably find a sponsor easily enough, and I'm certainly comfortable with actually making Perl packages, having done so locally since the Sarge days.  (Initially via dh-make-perl, and later "by hand").

One final question - If I do find a perl package which could be usefully uploaded would I be welcome to ask for membershop/uploaders here?  Or should I stick to the traditional debian-mentors route?

Sarah
--
[ 0 ] - http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=pkg-perl-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org